Judas Iscariot comes to the garden with a contingent of temple guards to arrest Jesus – the identifying sign is a kiss.
“Who are you looking for?”
“Jesus of Nazareth,” they answered.
Jesus said, “I am He”.
When Jesus said, “I am He,” they drew back and fell to the ground … (John 18:6).
After reattaching the ear of a guard lopped off by Peter, Jesus leaves under arrest.
Soon, He will endure three ‘trials’ by Jewish leaders and priests – all in violation of Jewish law mandating that trials be held in daylight. He will be accused and convicted of blasphemy – a crime punishable by death.
When Jesus said to them, “I am he,” they drew back and fell to the ground.
Did you know?
Clearly, Jesus retains control in the midst of his arrest. Not only does he floor an entire company of temple guards by replying “I am He”, but he also stops one of his disciple’s attempts to resist his arrest by saying: “Put your sword back in its place … do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? But how then will Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?”
MORE 2022 PASSION WEEK POSTS
- The Women Head to the TombSabbath ended at 6pm – 12 hours ago. The women are able to gather what they need to complete the burial rites. … Continue reading The Women Head to the Tomb
- He is Risen… He is risen, indeed!The disciples return to their homes, but Mary Magdalene stands outside the tomb crying. Jesus appears to her in a precious exchange, … Continue reading He is Risen… He is risen, indeed!
- What about the bodyBy now, the Roman guards are meeting with Jewish leaders about their incredible experience with the angel who moved the stone – … Continue reading What about the body
- Good Friday Is CompleteGood Friday is over and Sabbath begins. Jesus is in the tomb, which is sealed by a stone and guarded by Roman … Continue reading Good Friday Is Complete
- Body is buried and the tomb is sealedBy now Jesus’ body is off the cross. The Jewish leaders learn that the body of Jesus has been given to Joseph … Continue reading Body is buried and the tomb is sealed
This wonderful content is put together in an app called EasterNow . Visit their website to download the app to your phone and experience this great story along with others.