Exodus 12 instructs that the Passover lamb is to be “slaughtered at twilight” (6pm). The lamb forms the centerpiece of the Passover meal. Jesus took this meal with His disciples just after 6pm; we call it ‘The Lord’s Supper’. ‘Good Friday’ begins.
Just prior to the meal, Jesus washes the disciples’ feet as a model of servanthood.
“One of you will betray me” … then Judas leaves the group, having already agreed to betray Christ.
During the meal, Jesus redefines the Passover feast, explaining that He is ushering in the New Covenant described by God through the prophets Jeremiah and Ezekiel.
“Take this bread and cup … my body and blood … do this in memory of Me.”
To see a map indicating where the Upper Room was download the EasterNow App
“The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
“when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.
“Therefore say: ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I will gather you from the nations and bring you back from the countries where you have been scattered, and I will give you back the land of Israel again.’
“They will return to it and remove all its vile images and detestable idols. I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh. Then they will follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. They will be my people, and I will be their God.
MORE 2022 PASSION WEEK POSTS
- The Women Head to the TombSabbath ended at 6pm – 12 hours ago. The women are able to gather what they need to complete the burial rites. … Continue reading The Women Head to the Tomb
- He is Risen… He is risen, indeed!The disciples return to their homes, but Mary Magdalene stands outside the tomb crying. Jesus appears to her in a precious exchange, … Continue reading He is Risen… He is risen, indeed!
- What about the bodyBy now, the Roman guards are meeting with Jewish leaders about their incredible experience with the angel who moved the stone – … Continue reading What about the body
- Good Friday Is CompleteGood Friday is over and Sabbath begins. Jesus is in the tomb, which is sealed by a stone and guarded by Roman … Continue reading Good Friday Is Complete
- Body is buried and the tomb is sealedBy now Jesus’ body is off the cross. The Jewish leaders learn that the body of Jesus has been given to Joseph … Continue reading Body is buried and the tomb is sealed