Sabbath ended at 6pm – 12 hours ago. The women are able to gather what they need to complete the burial rites. Jesus’ disciples are still in hiding, so the women will do it alone.
Jesus has now been in the tomb 3 days (part of Friday, all of Saturday, and part of Sunday).
When the women arrive at the tomb, the Roman guard is gone and the tomb is open. The women enter the tomb, but the body of Jesus is gone!
Instead, they encounter an angel who tells them, “Why are you looking for the living among the dead? Jesus is not here, he has risen just as he said.”
The women hurry back to tell the disciples – “afraid, yet filled with joy”.
He is Risen – proof that his sacrifice was found acceptable to the Father.
see a map indicating the location of the tomb on the EasterNow app
This wonderful content is put together in an app called EasterNow . Visit their website to download the app to your phone and experience this great story along with others.
MORE 2022 PASSION WEEK POSTS
- The Women Head to the TombSabbath ended at 6pm – 12 hours ago. The women are able to gather what they need to complete the burial rites. … Continue reading The Women Head to the Tomb
- He is Risen… He is risen, indeed!The disciples return to their homes, but Mary Magdalene stands outside the tomb crying. Jesus appears to her in a precious exchange, … Continue reading He is Risen… He is risen, indeed!
- What about the bodyBy now, the Roman guards are meeting with Jewish leaders about their incredible experience with the angel who moved the stone – … Continue reading What about the body
- Good Friday Is CompleteGood Friday is over and Sabbath begins. Jesus is in the tomb, which is sealed by a stone and guarded by Roman … Continue reading Good Friday Is Complete
- Body is buried and the tomb is sealedBy now Jesus’ body is off the cross. The Jewish leaders learn that the body of Jesus has been given to Joseph … Continue reading Body is buried and the tomb is sealed