Pilate tries to avoid giving in to the mob whipped up by Jewish leaders. Just five days earlier the people were crying “Hosanna” to this same man! Pilate orders Jesus flogged – which often results in death. By now, the Roman soldiers have mocked him with a crown of thorns – paying Jesus scornful homage.
Last chance for a pardon … but the crowd chooses Barabbas for release instead of Jesus. Ironically, ‘Barabbas’ means ‘Son of the Father’.
Jesus will be crucified – and he will carry his own cross beam to the place of execution outside the city: Golgotha.
Jesus has now been rejected by Jew and Gentile.
MORE 2022 PASSION WEEK POSTS
- The Women Head to the TombSabbath ended at 6pm – 12 hours ago. The women are able to gather what they need to complete the burial rites. … Continue reading The Women Head to the Tomb
- He is Risen… He is risen, indeed!The disciples return to their homes, but Mary Magdalene stands outside the tomb crying. Jesus appears to her in a precious exchange, … Continue reading He is Risen… He is risen, indeed!
- What about the bodyBy now, the Roman guards are meeting with Jewish leaders about their incredible experience with the angel who moved the stone – … Continue reading What about the body
- Good Friday Is CompleteGood Friday is over and Sabbath begins. Jesus is in the tomb, which is sealed by a stone and guarded by Roman … Continue reading Good Friday Is Complete
- Body is buried and the tomb is sealedBy now Jesus’ body is off the cross. The Jewish leaders learn that the body of Jesus has been given to Joseph … Continue reading Body is buried and the tomb is sealed
This wonderful content is put together in an app called EasterNow . Visit their website to download the app to your phone and experience this great story along with others.