Having spent the night in nearby Bethany, Jesus and his disciples head for the temple. On the way, Jesus finds a fig tree in leaf, but no fruit present. He curses the tree – symbolic of a people that are clearly enjoying nourishment but yielding no fruit. Upon entering the temple area, Jesus began driving out the vendors and others that were making a marketplace of God’s house. This was yet another reason the chief priests and teachers of the law looked for a way to kill him, but they feared Jesus “because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching.”
To see a map of the temple download the EasterNow App at EasterNow.com
12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it.
15 On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple courts and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, 16 and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. 17 And as he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations’[a]? But you have made it ‘a den of robbers.’[b]”
18 The chief priests and the teachers of the law heard this and began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him, because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching.
This wonderful content is put together in an app called EasterNow . Visit their website to download the app to your phone and experience this great story along with others.
MORE 2022 PASSION WEEK POSTS
- The Women Head to the TombSabbath ended at 6pm – 12 hours ago. The women are able to gather what they need to complete the burial rites. … Continue reading The Women Head to the Tomb
- He is Risen… He is risen, indeed!The disciples return to their homes, but Mary Magdalene stands outside the tomb crying. Jesus appears to her in a precious exchange, … Continue reading He is Risen… He is risen, indeed!
- What about the bodyBy now, the Roman guards are meeting with Jewish leaders about their incredible experience with the angel who moved the stone – … Continue reading What about the body
- Good Friday Is CompleteGood Friday is over and Sabbath begins. Jesus is in the tomb, which is sealed by a stone and guarded by Roman … Continue reading Good Friday Is Complete
- Body is buried and the tomb is sealedBy now Jesus’ body is off the cross. The Jewish leaders learn that the body of Jesus has been given to Joseph … Continue reading Body is buried and the tomb is sealed